Divorce decrees and custody orders generally are issued based on the past, not the future. It goes without saying that family circumstances frequently change in ways that require the orders to be updated. People move, get new jobs, get remarried and otherwise face substantial changes in their lives.


These life changes could negatively impact the children affected by the old order. In order to modify a child custody or child support order, there must be a “material and substantial change” in circumstances and the requested modification must be in the “best interests” of the child.


If you believe there is a reason to modify your divorce decree or child custody order, call us at Gardner & Smith.